Computer Freezes When Zooming in Google Maps [with screenshots]
If you’ve experienced an issue with your computer freezing when zooming in Google Maps using Google Chrome, here’s a solution to resolve it.
Steps to replicate the issue
- Open Google Chrome (version 50.0.2661.102 m at the time of writing) and browse to Google Maps
- Switch to the ‘Earth’ or satellite view
- Click on either the ‘+’ or ‘-‘ to zoom in or out of the map. At this point, your computer becomes unresponsive and your only option is to hard boot it to power it down.
Steps to resolve
- After booting up again, open up Google Chrome, open up the Google panel then Settings > Show Advanced Settings
- Scroll down to System and uncheck the “Use hardware acceleration when available” check box.
- After restarting Chrome, you should be able to zoom in or out of Google Maps successfully.
Any alternative solutions? Please leave a comment below.